Sunday, February 25, 2007

Blues trade Tkachuk to Thrashers

Forward Keith Tkachuk waived his no-trade clause with the St. Louis Blues on Sunday and has been dealt to the Atlanta Thrashers.
In exchange, the Thrashers gave up a first-round pick and a third-round pick in the 2007 Entry Draft, a second-round pick in 2008 and centre Glen Metropolit.
Both teams were in a holding pattern while Tkachuk and his family decided. "I found out late last night, but with three children I needed some time because it's tough anytime a family is involved," Tkachuk told TSN on Sunday.
"But from a hockey standpoint, there was never any doubt, it's a no brainer." Tkachuk hopes to meet up with his new team in Boston and play on Monday night before returning to St. Louis to help his family adjust.
The Blues exercised a $3.8 million US option on his contract last spring, and the 15-year NHL veteran is set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
The Thrashers, who started the day in sixth place in the Eastern Conference with 72 points, were looking for some added punch to an offence that already features snipers Ilya Kovalchuk and Marian Hossa.
"I'll be expected to help out up front by adding size and grit to a lineup that's very deep," said Tkachuk. "They want me to play the middle for now which I've grown accustomed to in St Louis."
Tkachuk, 34, has 20 goals and 43 points this season.
He has 466 goals and over 911 points in 958 plus career regular-season games with Winnipeg, Phoenix and St. Louis. Tkachuk has scored 30-plus goals in eight seasons, and has had 50-plus goals twice.
In 1996-97, he scored 52 goals for Phoenix to become the first American born player to lead the league in goals.
It marks the second time that Tkachuk has been traded on or near the NHL's trade deadline. In March of 2001, the Coyotes traded Tkachuk to St. Louis for Ladislav Nagy, Michal Handzus, Jeff Taffe and a first round selection (Ben Eager).
"I see this team as having just as good a shot (at the Stanley Cup) as any team," said Tkachuk. "We're one point out of the division lead, so I'm very excited about the opportunity."

Hockey Guy Notes: Finally the thrahsers got a center to play hossa and Kovalchuk, but they give a lots for him and this will make Guerin really hard to get!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about the ubiquitousness of technology in our daily lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further develops, the possibility of uploading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could see in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cid-2602f0e287041cef.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2602F0E287041CEF!106.entry]r4i ds[/url] DS OperaV2)